Monday 28 April 2008

people watching

I don't know if it's because I am getting older, ( I almost typed "odder" which could equally fit) but I do find myself becoming more reactionary - not, I hasten to add, in discriminatory terms, i.e.gender, race, sexual orientation etc. ( However, any opinion expressed is in essence discriminatory)

No, I mean in terms of speaking my mind with more acuteness than I have in the past.
I thought about all this while standing on one leg, then swapping to the other, waiting for a taxi in the middle of town. People watching is a favourite pastime of mine in any geographical situation but today it seemed that my senses were heightened. Perhaps it was the excruciating knee pain I was trying to relieve?
There was the woman in green, swathed in waterproofs and scarves - I wondered if she was a "green" candidate living up to the image - and obviously from her high colour sweating profusely. Then the bald headed man with a naked upper lip, a rim beard of pale ginger, combed out like a sun ray on his chin, in a long black leather coat and Doc Martin high laced boots. Obviously a grass roots philosopher.
A trio of women all wearing exceedingly tight trousers with expanses of flesh seeping over the waist bands waddled passed followed by the older woman in clinging jeans that emphasised the shelf-like nature of her buttocks.
They seemed to be impervious to the picture they presented while I keep try to hide away and be inconspicuous. It struck me that I too could be myself without souring the cream or making people scream and run for cover - couldn't I?
People drifted out into the road, munching endlessly on subs and wraps, heedless of traffic danger, then ebbed back to the pavement.
I craned my neck to see round the vehicles that shouldn't have been parked in the bay, but were, to try and not miss my cab and cursed the idiots that kept blocking my view. A car containing a man and child continued to sit in the bay, talking on his mobile until his partner appeared, (see I can be politically correct) and they mused over the bank receipt, disputing each item until with vehemence he revved the engine and they sped off.

But back to my exercise in growing intransigence:
While in the chemists scanning shelves of hair products some- woman imperiously tried to excuse herself to get passed me and it took all my self control to stop myself asking her what she'd done. Earlier, some- man had continued to walk into me despite surely realising we would collide. He had worked on the premise that I would get out of his way but I set my shoulders and carried on relentlessly meaning he had to swerve and was stopped in his tracks - and I didn't care if he had tripped! Some-people need to realise that Yourstruly can be just as obstructive and will be practising more of the same.

I am more than a little fed up with being the one who apologises, gets out of the way, takes the evasive action. Not doing it anymore and if that makes me a bit of a dragon, a cumudgeon, or whatever, then so be it. There has to be a time when the perks start and surely one of them is that one can speak one's mind with impunity and tell it as it is.
My list of those who need to be told what they really are in a clear and concise manner rather than having it dressed up in psycho babble is growing so beware, dear Blog, because there will be more of the same!

No comments: