Thursday 1 May 2008

catching up again!

To continue from where I left off regarding peculiar people and my decision to start a personal backlash against other people's insensitivity ( with regard to me).
Some of the other people I saw during my sojourn in the city included the lovely placard man with his all- weather gear and big sign admonishing sinners to repent - the truth always hurts but remains the truth for all that. I was waiting for someone to start giving him some lip just for the opportunity to wade in and, the two of us together, show the unbelievers what really muscular Christianity is about - not that Sign Man would need my help. I have seen him in action and believe- you- me he can more than take care of himself.

There was the little woman in the chemists who stood so close to me I wondered if she wanted to pick my purse, although it would have been a waste of time, but no, what she wanted was advice about hair spritz as if asking me would leave her any wiser. Neither of us found what we were looking for or were even sure what it was in the first place!
Why,when there is loads of space where ever I am, do people have to come and stand so close you would think they were practising sardines? And they have to inflict their life stories on me as well, speaking as if I was privy to the characters starring in said story so don't need the vital bits of background info. that makes sense of it all. I must have the sort of face that is so inconsequential and nonthreatening that just talking at me makes them feel better and me feel like a blotter. ( But then I wouldn't have ammunition for this blog or the "novel" I keep trying to write.)

A person strolled into my place of work this afternoon who also imprinted herself on me for all kinds of reasons. Firstly, because every time I see her I am convinced I know her from somewhere else but can't think where. Secondly, because she has the archetypal middle class English face that is intellectual but trying so hard to be of the people. She wears a well worn gillet, cords and quirky handmade shoes that are so foot shaped and utilitarian only middle class ex-hippies and those needing orthotics would look at them.
However, the chief reason she impacted on my memory was the great fuss and palaver she made over a small bunch of pansies she had brought for the person she was visiting. Could we find a small enough vase to fit them? When she had shown them to said recipient she would come back for said vase. She came back, put the flowers into the vase,( a plastic drinking glass, which was all we had small enough) and inspected them from various angles. Could she take them back again for the recipient to look at? Where would be the best place to display them to best advantage and effect when she came back?
Eventually, we settled on a table by the front door where the six pansies would "cheer us all and raise our spirits" - perhaps. In the meantime my and colleague and I were trying to actually get on with a fairly important task, the completion of which would really cheer us up no end.
After all that this woman sat with the resident, in total silence, and never gave the already wilting pansies another thought.
This is what gets me about this particular type of intellectual. They try so hard to be eco- friendly, recycling minded and earthy and the truth is they often don't have a practical bone in their bodies and really do live on another planet, which is inhabited by"lovely people who think nice thoughts" and don't disturb the ether of cosy suburbia.
If you ask them to do something really natural such as clean up great cow pats of ordure that have just erupted from a human rectum or pick dentures out of unmentionable places, they wouldn't just run a mile they would collapse with disgust. Whether we like it or not nature is red in tooth and claw, and yellow and various shades of brown in elimination!! If we kicked up as much fuss about the really vile and artificial stuff we create and do to each other, as we do about totally natural functions we would all be dead without, then I might start to take some of these people and their ideologies seriously.

No comments: