Wednesday 12 March 2008

Today ,when I got into work, the whole team configuration had changed from that expected. This is how it often is in care. People ring in sick, swap their shifts, or take a holiday at the last moment and as a manager I have to cope with whatever comes. It makes it difficult to plan the day's work, especially the administration.
The team mix decides what my priorities will be. With an established crew I know the work will get done, well, and on time, but with bank or agency staff, who don't know the clients or work patterns, then forget it. In that case, I have to think for everyone (and I'm not being patronising) in order that needs are not just being met but met to the nth degree. Details matter in care, the seemingly inconsequential takes on a significance beyond belief, and whether early tea is on time or not might define the whole tenor of the day.
This might seem petty-fogging but frail, vulnerable people draw their comfort and security from routine and sameness. Disruption spells anxiety and unease.
So, new staff, who need to be directed at every turn present a particular set of challenges.
It's necessary to assess their capabilities very quickly, direct them with conciseness and precision and take into account any particular hurdles such as language fluency and experience. It is easy to fall into the trap of doing everything oneself, and I do, to save time and tempers but this is misplaced, in the long run, and leads to permanent staff running themselves ragged while the temporary staff can feel excluded and inept.
Fortunately, today was a good mix with relief staff having the chance to gain new experience and reinforce skills without increasing the work load for regular staff.
As usual I held the fort, fielding queries from various quarters, wearing several hats, (sometimes all at the same time), doing jobs I love and those I hate(most specifically the coffee round!) and, trite as it may sound, all worth while when a client says "I'm glad it's you, I've missed you".

No comments: