Tuesday 18 March 2008

I nearly forgot......

Here we are almost out of the day and I suddenly realise that with all today's activity I haven't made my blog entry. I already feel uneasy if I don't make an entry, as if some unseen hand will materialise out of the ether and zap me for my omission!
So what have I done today? It might be easier to start with what I haven't done - e.g. no washing, dusting, vacuuming, if fact I have avoided anything that comes under the heading of housework, thank goodness.
However, I haven't been entirely idle. I prised vital statistics out of my eldest grandson so that I could trawl ebay for a kilt - he's decided he wants to wear one for the Senior Prom(?).
As an anglo-scot he's entitled to but I have warned him of dire consequences if he chickens out after all my efforts. His response was to tell me to behave as "...you know me, Nan, I'll do anything..." ( I do hope not!)
So my messages requesting the length from navel to kneecap, collar and shoe size were sent via text and email.
I managed to make myself sit down with the cheque book and write one for the water company then go through the nightmare of an automated telephone payment to my clothing account. Make a choice from this menu or that, key in these numbers, remember various bits of my telephone number, just for security, and follow each step by pressing the hash key. Anyway, got that boring stuff out of the way and then set off to see my two granddaughters and their mum.
I have come to dread taxi journeys these days as the radio is invariably on and the subject of the Diana inquiry comes up. Its not a long ride but oh dear, they always ask my opinion and then subject me to a tirade if I don't respond as they think fit. I don't know what happened, I don't particularly care, so now I sit in stony silence and refuse to be drawn. These same people always preface their comments with "They won't let her rest in peace..." and then proceed to fulminate on various aspects depending on what their own private agenda is - like the Bible, Diana can be made to fit any situation.
Thankfully, today, it was a dissection of Heather Mills McCartney, et al ,and I stared out of the window and grunted in what I hope were the right places - she's another woman who will never get it right.
So to my pixies - the elf and the goblin. No, I don't mean that, but one is delicate and apparently fragile (the reality is quite different) and the other vocal and ebullient. What they both have is cuteness in obscene quantities and, with their cousins, provide me with the impetuous to soldier on.
For a few hours my balance was re-calibrated and my cynicism diluted by their energy and lust for life. Her regal majesty with an imperious look and distinctive wave allowed me in, her equally royal sister bounced and gurgled, scanned me and then got on with the really important business of cruising the floor and puking where ever she fancied. Apparently, Her Majesty continued to twirl her hand and call "Bye Nan" for a good hour and a half after I left, bless her.
So, back home, read my emails and listen to my messages. From one I learn that the company handling my debts has some good news - I have finally cleared the big debt and due to an administrative error ( we never discover whose do we? ) I have overpaid and Northern Rock need to reimburse me. I talk to a very nice man in their debt department and in a couple of days, I shall be a little better off than I expected.
And so to bed with my plastic box of carrot sticks, apple pieces, grapes, cheese cubes, olives, celery, fruit and nuts, a crossword puzzle and the melange that is freeview.
I have my dose of "Pimp my ride" which is incomprehensible and naff, (therein lies its attraction) and "Dog the Bounty Hunter" which is even more bizarre and therefore more intriguing. This is the sort of pap that helps me relax - I wonder how much bigger Mrs. Dog's breasts can get and how much tighter the lycra before it all explodes and she is smeared across the rest of the family/team. God knows what would happen if her hair and Dog's became intangled and what an odd silhouette he cuts with all his accoutrements.
Finally, as if yo
u care, I remembered my blog and got up to fulfill my obligation to myself, if no one else.

No comments: