Sunday 30 March 2008

the lost hour

Can't help it, folks, but this losing of an hour each year,especially as one gets older, is no joke.
It always leaves me feeling cheated and more groggy than usual when I wake up on this particular Sunday morning. Who is this suppose to benefit? Farmers these days seem to work whether its light or not, and have big searchlights if they need it. School children don't care whether it's light or dark if/when they make their way to/from school - it's going to be one way or another after all.
So, what is it all about? When we were fighting for our lives and needed every hour of daylight to plough and sow; when we couldn't use headlights or street lamps then this all made sense, economically and in safety terms, but now?

Of course, we all live in different time zones, whether geographically or mentally, but it would help if at least within the confines of this country we didnot have to go through this twice a year - constantly quoting to ourselves, or trying to remember, spring forward and fall back - and then being unsure whether we have it the right way round.
My children, all adults seemingly, still wait for a message from me reminding them about the change, because for goodness sake they couldn't remember it themselves could they? Apparently not because on more than one occasion, when I didn't nudge their memories, they have lived life an hour behind the rest of us trying to make sense of the discrepancy, so they have no need to scoff.
However, this time I sent the message and then an hour later, after consideration, realised I had made the basic error and had to swallow my pride and admit my mistake, all excused on the grounds that I'm becoming gaga, and send another text.
It will be interesting to find out which member of staff arrived an hour late this year. I do know that overseas workers find it bemusing to say the least. If we can't work it out or explain it what chance do they have?

No comments: