Thursday 9 September 2010

Settling in

The days are flying at the speed of the Tornadoes zooming over the house.
We all appear to be in our separate zones but we are actually
collaborating and creating at the same time.

Grandson number 2 after eleven weeks holiday decided to produce
his "other washing and mending" from The Great Wen that is his suitcase.
"Nan, I love you, do you love me?"
"Yes James, what do you want and how much will it cost?"
"Not money, I didn't call you Grand mama Dearest, did I?"
"True my dear so what is it?"
"This seam in my trousers needs mending and can you repair the slit in my
brassard which got accidentally caught with scissors - not by me I hasten to add....."
"Oh and also, sew on my badges in this order? I'd do them myself
but got to fly-Xbox game to play...."
Some things never change.

Forty eight hours before he goes back to boarding school we start
a massive clear out/clean up and he suddenly remembers a host of items
he aught to take back with him that amnesia has hidden.
He produces three packs of decrepit emergency rations,
from a long ago cadet camping expedition, so far out of their sell by date
that not even the most dedicated eco-warrior would touch them.

The rain is rattling a staccato tattoo on the roof of the conservatory and I think Autumn approacheth.
I live in a house, now, with four rock guitar fanatics so as I walk through
to my room Grandson number 1 stands in his boxers on the stairs,
playing his bass along to some vibrating cacophony while a projected,
animated idol struts across an expanse of wall.
Grandson 2, slender, long legged, as hairless as his brother is hirsute,
plays a lead guitar while Grandson 3 runs his fingers along an instrument
known as the "cigar box" but which resembles an oriental instrument
played with a bow.
Their father sings and plays all their instruments and the house shudders.
Fortunately, no one overlooks or hears us, except the quails
who sometimes craik an accompaniment.

They groan at my musical taste but tolerate it and show me
spontaneous kindnesses such as making me a step to ease my entry
and exit from the house or taking my coat,without being asked,
and hang it up.
They even accompanied me to the dentist with relatively good grace
and "tweeted" while I endured the excruciating scream of the sonic devil in my mouth.

No comments: