Thursday 30 October 2008

Scramble

My mind meanders through lists of words.
I view the grid and while I try to string letters together time ticks by.
How do these people have time to pass messages as the clock slices away
at each three minute slot?
My eyes turn somersaults finding words longer than three letters.
At zero the graphics change - a revised list of scorers pop up plus a list of all the words
in the grid, many of which are incomprehensible.
Are they plucked from some World Dictionary?
I wonder who searches them out.
Are we being duped, victims of a huge joke?
Someone on another part of the planet sniggers as they make up words,
the weirder the better?
Even so, when the clock starts the count down the pulse quickens and you hope
your eyes can pick up the sequences of letters.
Your fingers slide over the keys, illuminating the developing words.
Each word registers points, hopefully rapidly enough to lift a players position and
thereby raise each word I.Q.
My brain/hand/eye co-ordination seem so sluggish in comparison to other players
and then the laptop freezes - exasperation seethes as seconds melt away.
I resent the phone ringing with a minute to go, it equals words/points missed.

There is very little give and take.
Anyone exceeding the maximum room I.Q. is ordered off to higher places.
The Great Glory is the "greenie" - the green highlighted word scored only by
one player.
What exultation!
Eventually, reason surfaces and I take myself in hand.
I return the game to its rightful place and remind myself that in the great scheme of
things it is inconsequential and still second to the Great Solitaire,
the ultimate panacea when stress levels rise.

No comments: